A certificate could not be found that can be used with this Extensible Authentication Protocol
In this blog, we will show you the steps to resolve the A certificate could not be found that can be used with this Extensible Authentication Protocol error for point-to-site VPN.
- You will get the below error message when you try to connect the Azure VPN from your local machine.
- While importing the certificate, make sure that you have to use the store location is the Current user.
- Also, make sure that you have select the personal folder to store the while exporting the certificate.
- Once the import the completed, Double-click on the certificate.
- Click on the certificate path tab.
- Ensure you see the client certificate is issued with the self-signed root certificate. This the key thing for the successful VPN Setup. In the below screenshot, it shows that root certificate is missing.
EXPORT THE CERTIFICATE WITH PROPER OPTION
- Right-click on the VPN client certificate and select All task – Export.
- From the welcome screen, Click on Next.
- Select Yes, export the private key option.
- Here is the key option. Make sure that you have selected the Include all the certificates in the certification path if possible option and click Next.
- Provide a password for this certificate and click Next.
- Provide a filename and path to export the certificate.
- Click Finish to complete the wizard.
RE-IMPORT THE CLIENT CERTIFICATE
- Delete the old certificate from the machine through certificate manager snap-in.
- Once you delete the old certificate, right-click on the new certificate and click on Install PFX option.
- Follow the wizard instructions and install the certificate. Once its complete, double-click on the certificate and select the certificate path tab.
- You will able to see the root certificate along with the VPN client certificate.
- Open the Azure VPN window and click on Connect button.
- Azure VPN was connected successfully.
- You can verify the VPN IP through command prompt.
Thanks for reading this blog. We hope it was useful for you to learn the root cause of this error.